SEND: Special Educational Needs & Disabilities
The College’s SEND Department provides individualised and specialist support to students. The College has a total commitment to ensuring students’ needs are identified and supported.
The SENDCO is Jane Bedlington she can be contacted on firstname.lastname@example.org
Luton Local Offer: Luton’s Local Offer SEND information hub | Luton Directory
Support includes for example:
- Assessment of student’s needs – prior to interview if you have an Educational Health and Care Plan (EHCP), or at the start of your course if you disclose another SEND need.
- In class support for students with specific EHCP needs.
- One-to-one support with specialist SpLD teachers, supporters and Mental Health and Wellbeing teacher.
- We have specialist staff for students with neurodiversities e.g. Specific Learning Difficulties, dyslexia, Autism Spectrum Condition, ADHD, other neurodiversities
- Provision of equipment e.g. laptops, assistive technology (Readwrite TextHelp/ Dragon Naturally Speaking/ GLEAN/ Mindview) to enable independent learning according to assessment of need.
- Communication Support Workers (for students with EHCPs) to provide support for Deaf/hearing-impaired students.
- End of day twilight study base sessions with a specialist staff member present
- Autism friendly lunch space
- Screening tools for Dyslexia/ADHD/ASC/DCD (Dyspraxia)
- Guidance or further assessment with specialist assessors according to need.
- Assessments for Exam Access Arrangements, carried out by an in-house specialist assessor.
- Provision of Exam Access Arrangements for exams and assessments.
- Fully accessible building with fire safe evacuation lift.
- Fully accessible Changing Room toilet
- Accessible Physiotherapy room